Sunday, August 21, 2011

Housekeeping

This isn't going to be a pretty post, just a serviceable one. I've had some ideas for some pretty posts running around, inspired by snow and wakas and seals and secret hiding places. But, I've been so busy, it's hard to get time to put fingers to keyboard.
Anyway, here's the housekeeping. I never announced it on here, but I won the WWF Ocean:Views contest a couple of months ago with my short story "Paying Back the Ocean." I got to have a photo shoot and be on the radio and in the papers and it was quite an interesting process. It's been lovely since then, hearing about the different places my story seems to have gone.
I've also been published in Blip Magazine and have upcoming  poems and stories in a couple of other places that I'll announce when they are available.
And I'm not the only one. Seems like people from the Masters course in the IIML have been taking out a lot of the creative writing contests in New Zealand this year, including the Katherine Mansfield Award (which is now called the BNZ Literary Award or something). It's a good, sad story and you should check it out.
You might also want to check out the winners of the poetry and short story contests run by Vic Books, which were won by a couple of my lovely classmates. Definitely worth reading.
I also want to point out that my rejection to acceptance ratio is about 10:1 (I just pulled that number out of my arse by the way) so I have numerous kindly phrased rejection letters as well.

Anyways, in about three days my mother and I are going to be taking the trip that I won in the WWF contest. I'm honoured to be able to take my mother on this trip, as she's supported me a lot over the years (thanks mum!). I'm really excited about it. We'll be going to Tonga, staying at a resort and taking a day trip out to swim with humpback whales. Anyone who knows me at all, knows I'm basically beside myself with joy at the idea of swimming with whales.
So, I thought I would mention it, because I'm hoping to blog while I'm over there. And I might only be capable of writing whales whales whales whales (awesome) whales once I get started.
Lots of love to everyone, hope you are all well, where ever you are. I will write something more interesting soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment