Saturday, October 23, 2010

A New Day

I haven't posted in aaaages. And I'm such a flibbertigibbet (in the historical sense... well, in the modern sense as well, probably) you know my life is completely different now.
So, here is an update on me. I am still living in Auckland. In a box. But it's a nice enough box. It's a little untidy now, but I have actually managed to keep it relatively nice, which is a first for me (I tend to accidently spill ink/paint/coffee... usually the carpets around me are doomed).
I have made some friends I think, in the tramping (hiking) club, and in my book club, and through the RPCV network. Of course, I'm applying for a Masters in Creative Writing for next year, both in Auckland and in Wellington, so if I get accepted in Wellington, I'll have to move again. But, I suppose I can always fly up for weekends.
Lets see. A few months ago I was shortlisted in the Frederick van Eeden Poetry Competition, which was quite thrilling actually. I didn't place, but I'm hoping it will still help my application.And I've had bits and scraps of poetry published here and there.  No short stories yet (aside from that one on the radio two years ago) but I haven't tried too hard to send any in to places. After my Creative Writing course ends, I'll have a bit more time for that.
At the moment, I'm supporting myself with freelance writing online, for Internet Brands, Brighthub, Suite101 and Squidoo. I'm trying to solidify my base with those, before moving anywhere else.If you're interested, I mostly write about pet birds for Brighthub at the moment.

Which brings me to one of my points for starting this blog up again. I'm really enjoying Squidoo, and it has given me a chance to do something I've been meaning to do for ages.
Make lists of stuff I like. Like OOAK art dolls, original jewelry and handmade clothes, etc. I love looking at these sorts of things, and this gives me a chance to pretend I have something to do with them!
Plus the people who make them are always thrilled with the exposure.
I was originally going to make a blog, but as you know, I am hopeless at keeping up with a blog. This way, I can make them whenever I like, then put them up on here, couched with ramblings about myself (I think people are much more forgiving about me forgetting to post about myself).

So far, the list are awesome. Not because of me, but because the things in them are awesome.
Anyway, the first one I did was Halloween Art Dolls. I'm not going to put up any pictures, but if you click on that link, you'll get to browse through a gorgeous pictoral list of OOAK art dolls, of ghosts, skeletons, gothic pixies, and scary teddy bears.

The second one I've done was leather masks. I should have split this one into two, it is very large (around 20 masks), but that's all the better for you, because the masks are stunningly beautiful and you should check them out.
Well, now I've got the blatent advertising out of the way... it's a beautiful day down here in Auckland, and I'm going with my friend to the Grey Lynn Farmers market, which should be fun. She dragged me to hot yoga a few days ago, so I think she owes me a coffee.

Thank you for reading, I'll try to be more interesting next time.
Oh, and PS, anyone who is here because they are interested in freelance writing, check out my list of sites that accept non-American (as well as American) freelancers. Whether you are looking for spare change, or a platform for your ideas, or full time work, you might be able to find it there, and I try to keep it updated.

Kia kaha, kia mana, kia toa, aroha.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I am an RPCV (Benin 2003-2005) in Wellington. How do I get in touch with the RPCV network here?! I would love to meet some fellow volunteers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, I'm not sure there IS an RPCV network here. I know there are a couple of RPCVs in Auckland, but I've never met one in Wellington... I'm sorry I didn't see your comment sooner!

    ReplyDelete