Monday, February 22, 2010

Now in Freelancing edition

OK, here's where I'm at. I've moved to Auckland, am living in a tiny little room in the center of the city, it's bare in a cocoon kind of way.

I'm now writing for Suite101.com and for Squidoo.com. So, I'm going to be posting quite a bit about that. I haven't completely given up on the art though. I'm going to limit it to photography and polymer clay for now. I gave my etsy page a makeover, but haven't listed anything on there. Luckily, my work for suite101 has taught me some 'sweet' (hehe) SEO skills. I'm no expert, but I got the basic idea.

I'm also doing a course in creative writing and from the first day I am tickled. I'm really looking forward to stretching my writing muscles.

Auckland is pretty awesome. Not the awesomest, that's Wellington. But probably awesomer than New Plymouth, at least for me. I'm loving the big library, the old buildings, the choice of movie theatres... I miss my mum though :( Yeah, I'm a sook.

Alright, so here are a couple of articles for Suite101:


So, pretty much anyone else who has the slightest experience with writing online articles can tell you, I wrote the last three on that list before I did any research. Sure, they were fun to write, but they were written from the perspective of a person who thought that

A: you can just write about a popular subject like earning cash, or weight loss, and the people will come.
B: you can write about two separate topics and link them together on a whim and expect people to just find it on their own.
C: that it's a good idea to write very vague topic headings and in fact to write very broadly on any subject.

Now of course, those rules are all made to be broken. But I'm learning that specific topics are much more lucrative than broad ones, niche topics are better than overly done topics and topics people... any people, are searching for are better than self indulgent blitherings. The greenstone article, though it was just as much of a shot in the dark, was actually pretty close to target.

My first (and currently only) squidoo page is much better:

All About Shirataki Noodles

OK, well this has been a long post, but hopefully I'll be posting more regularly from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment